Travel cards are reward cards as they offer users with free travel and provide the elite membership with restaurants, hotels, and airlines, among other perks. They are perfect when you are looking for redemption points or miles while shopping and traveling. Travel cards are divided into three categories: airline cards, hotel cards, and general travel cards. So, before you go and get your best pick, here are a few tips that will help you with choosing the best travel and airline credit cards.
How do these cards work?
Earn and redeem miles
Every travel card has different discounts and deals to offer. There are many such cards that have a sign-up bonus that can be used in restaurants, while traveling, and for general purchases. You can also redeem these miles for eligible hotel stays, travel tickets, and car services. In addition, there are some travel cards that provide a portal where you can buy your travel essentials.
If you do not want to get stuck with paying interest charges, keep an eye on the due date of payments. Pay in full each month to keep the credits flowing.
Annual fee structure
The fee structure of travel cards is variable. Most cards come with a $0 annual fee, while others might have a one-time fee, depending on the card you choose. So, how do you choose whether you need a travel credit card or not? Let us check!
Do you really need a travel and airline card?
- It is best to choose a travel card, depending on your travel tendencies. If you are a frequent traveler, then a travel and airline credit card can best suit your specific needs.
- Your travel tendencies would decide whether you need a travel and airline credit card with or without an annual fee. In case you are an occasional traveler, choosing a travel and airline card with no annual fee would be the best pick for you.
- Some travel cards offer benefits such as discounts at select restaurants and airlines. If you eat out or travel often, these benefits can help you save more.
- Most of the best flight credit cards have co-branded with hotel cards as well. If you have any particular brand in mind, then look for specific travel cards from these brands.
- Shopping overseas without any transaction fees is a boon for avid shoppers. Many travel cards come with shopping or travel rewards that are extremely handy while on an international trip.
Avail maximum rewards
You should pick a travel and airline card that you would use frequently, both for spending and redemption of points. Look for best airline rewards program for maximum benefits. You can also look for travel points credit card for availing benefits on travel. Moreover, if you’re a frequent flyer, you can go for a frequent flyer card
Do not lose your redemption points
Once you get the points, ensure to use these. These points do not expire for most travel cards, but your travel purchases might. So, keep a check on the redemption portal before you run out of points.
Keep a check on your spending
You do not want to go overboard with the spends, but travel cards will help you get the most of these attractive rewards.
Handy tips to always keep in mind
- Check out the sign-up bonus
Sign-up bonuses are one of the first things that you should look for in a card, but remember that not every card offers points or miles. For instance, you will get 50,000 points for signing up with the Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ for spends worth $4,000 within the first three months of membership. In addition, you will get boosted rewards for traveling and shopping through the company’s official portal.
- Look for ongoing rewards
Travel and airline cards have excellent ongoing rewards. Check out different travel cards and look for purchase bonuses and extra miles for shopping to get best offers. From one-time bonuses to 2X miles, travel cards offer various deals.
Popular benefits offered by travel and airline cards include access to airport VIP lounges, trip interruption insurance, and elite status accelerators.
- Annual fee
You should look at the annual fee of the travel and airline card before picking one. There are a few cards with annual fees, but check out whether the card is worth. It is best to compare various deals on these cards and their respective annual fees to get a complete advantage.Some of the best travel credit cards of 2017 and 2018 are Chase Sapphire Preferred, The Platinum Card from American Express, Citi ThankYou Premier Card, and Chase Sapphire Reserve among others.